Monday, February 22, 2010

My First Blog

Well hello everyone.

This is my very first blog on blogger so I will start by telling you a little bit about myself.

My name is Ashley and I am junior at Sam Houston State University.  I transferred here last semester and I love it.  I am a music therapy major which is the most awesome thing in the world!  I get to practically have fun everyday I go to school.  Basically, in some of my classes, I get to play the guitar, sing, or play piano.  This is for practice when I get out there and become a board-certified Music Therapist.  I need to have skills.  Also, I get to role play with different interventions.  Now these aren't the typical interventions you might be thinking.  We create plans that will benefit clients we may be working with and use music as the tool to improve their lives.  Some of you may be thinking..What is music therapy anyway?  Well I will tell you my definition. 

Music Therapy is the process where the therapist interacts with the client to bring about goals in critical NONMUSICAL domains areas such as motor, cognitive, social, emotional, and communication.  They use music as the tool to improve the quality of life for a client with a particular need in one or more domains.

Okay so that is basically what it is.  Hopefully you are still awake. :)  So continuing with myself.  I take 17 hours of school five days a week, take a night class at 5 on Mondays, go to the Music Therapy organization after that from 6-7p.m., meet with my supervisor one day a week, work with rehabilitation patients once a week, work on documentation and planning for everything else, do homework, sing at a steakhouse one weekend a month, and still find time to spend with my boyfriend of 5 years.  I am pretty busy.  But I feel lucky because I am not having to work and my mom can support me enough that I can keep up good grades at college.  So that is me in a nut shell.  I hope you come back for more!

Ashley @ SHSU

2 comments:

  1. I love learning about Music Therapy. What a cool career choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I love it, keep looking for more posts!

    ReplyDelete